Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Aid To the Homeless in Contra Costa County

Several years ago I volunteered at my church tutoring homeless children and helping set out a lunch buffet. My church, Saint Perpetua's, participated in a rotation where homeless families would spend one week at a church and then move to a different church, where they were provided with food, shelter and services for their kids. Ever since then I have been curious about homeless shelters in Contra Costa County. I did some research and one organization that popped up was Contra Costa Interfaith Housing, this is a non profit organization dedicated to ending the struggles of homeless people in Contra Costa County. The program's main goal is to promote self sustainability and to break the cycle of homelessness. According to some statistics on the website Contra Costa County has the eleventh highest homeless population in our entire nation! That really shocked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment