Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 27th

On March twenty seventh I worked my second Saturday at the Habitat for Humanity build site at Edes Avenue. My second Saturday I volunteered to join the paint crew, coincidentally with the same crew leader as the previous week. We ended up having to do a little more than just painting though! We spent the first three hours cleaning up trash and decrepit furniture that homeless people had amassed on the Habitat for Humanity staging lot. This was pretty gross, there were a lot of empty pill bottles and moldy couch cushions, and after three hours I was so glad to be done. We then had our lunch break and we got to talk to some of the other volunteers and to some of the home owners, and that was really fulfilling. After lunch we began painting the wall panels, big plywood sheets that were much, much heavier than they looked. After painting panels in the direct sun for four hours I was rocking a pretty rad sunburn, which still has my left shoulder reduced to a stinging mass of redness, and some good sized blisters from the plywood. I also was basically covered in "Sea Breeze Blue" paint, which although meant for the houses ended up in my hair and all over my clothes.
I had an amazing time at both of my shifts and I feel like I will definitely be returning to volunteer my time for some shifts this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment